As a movement of like-minded individuals who each share in a single and ambitious vision, we are guided by a set of values and principles that focus our minds and drive us in pursuit of our mission.
Teach For Australia's shared beliefs form the foundation of our values:
- We hold up equality of opportunity for every child in Australia as a fundamental right.
- We acknowledge that dramatic gaps in student achievement and hence future opportunities in life exist in Australia along socioeconomic, geographic and ethnic lines.
- We believe that improving teacher quality is the most direct way to raise student achievement.
- We commit ourselves to recruiting, training and supporting top, well-rounded university graduates to serve as teachers and leaders in schools with the greatest need.
- We aspire to transform education and wider society through our alumni and partners as a network of engaged leaders in all fields.
In pursuing these aims, we uphold six core values:
We see great possibilities and strive to bring them to life. We seek to lead by example and are agents for change in ourselves, in students and in our society. We create empowering learning environments that enable others to excel.
We are inspired by ambitious goals and pursue them with determination. We use fact-based data to think critically about problems and solutions. We take personal responsibility for delivering meaningful, measurable impact within timeframes that are challenging and motivating.
We strive to build effective, professional relationships within and across sectors. We have a collaborative mindset that opens us to the opportunities and expertise available through partnerships. We work together - within the organisation, with Associates and with partners, to achieve the individual and systemic changes we seek.
Humility and Learning
We respect and seek to learn from the communities we serve and the people with whom we work. We recognise the limits of our own experience, ask questions and seek diverse perspectives to inform our views. We work with curiosity and resourcefulness, engage in honest self reflection and look for ways to continuously improve.
We bring energy and creativity to everything we do. We are excited by new ideas and look for new ways to do things that will bring us closer to achieving our goals. We embrace the opportunity to operate outside our comfort zone as a chance to grow and innovate.
We are resilient when faced with obstacles and undaunted by the scale of the change we seek. We rise to the challenge and never forget why we do what we do.